Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going
.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm seriously considering

Asking my midwives to come up with an "approved reading list" for me.  I think "Pushed" is the opposite of what I should be reading and I'm pretty sure I should go ahead and cancel the hold I put on "Silent Knife."  I just started "Pushed" tonight, read the first chapter, "Arranged Birth," and now I am in a serious funk.  I appreciate the book for what it is--really brilliantly written and tons of fabulous information, but I just don't think I can read it until I am done having kids, or maybe after my (successful) VBA2C.  Like I mentioned before, I have a problem being in my head about these things and I can already tell from the little I read that this book will not be helping me get out of it.  So, I am putting it away and picking up another, yet to be decided, title.  Hello, personal growth much?!?! :)

2 comments:

  1. Recommend:
    Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent (for fun)
    The Smart Womans Guide to a Better Birth
    and pretty much ANY book by:
    Sheila Kitzinger
    or Ina May Gaskin

    (also documentaries: The Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, Thank you for the recs! I have seen both documentaries and love them! I have Spiritual Midwifery and have already started reading a few of the birth stories. It is so uplifting! I have heard great things about Baby Catcher, and can't wait to pick it up. My Amazon wishlist is getting full fast :)

    During Emre's birth, it became apparent to everyone, including myself, that I did just a tad too much reading/research beforehand :) I know everything I need to know about natural birth and the state of maternity care here in the US. What I need to do now is shift my focus to reading inspiring, positive and encouraging stories of everything going *right.* This is my new goal going forward with my reading selections

    ReplyDelete